It’s that time of year once again, a time when parents rejoice and kids groan. That’s right – it’s back to school time. But before you breakout the backpacks and the pencils, ask yourself this question – are you and your child fully prepared for the year ahead? Here are helpful tips to get you and your child ready for back to school.
1. In addition to school supplies, don’t forget the gear. But don’t spend too much time at the mall before the start of school. Your child only needs one or two outfits in preparation for the big day. Stores are aware of this and will have deep discounts ready for parents.
2. When you visit your child’s school, be sure to get a tour of the building. Be aware of the exits and all the facilities with which your child may come into contact.
3. As you meet with teachers, don’t forget the guidance counselor. That person will be another key ally for you and your child. Guidance counselors have access to all of your child’s academic records. They’re also trained to provide basic counseling services to your child if she is having problems in school.
4. Get your child into the back-to-school routine – When school is two weeks away, have your child go to bed 30 minutes earlier at night and get up thirty minutes earlier in the morning. When your child is about to start school in a week, have him go to bed an hour earlier at night and get up an hour earlier in the morning. By developing a bedtime routine, your child will be less resistant to the early morning wake-up calls to get ready for school.
August Recipe: Corn Dog Muffins
Ready In: 24 Minutes
Servings: 18 muffins
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 9 hot dogs, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease muffin tins.
- Stir together the cornbread mix and the brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Fold the eggs and cheese into the dry mixture until moistened. Spoon mixture into muffin tins until 2/3 full. Add 1 hot dog half to each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated oven 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Lou Rosenberger, Realtor | CalBRE #01955420 | 415.518.5286
3701 Buchanan Street, San Francisco, California 94123